Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Fertility issue

    I have pain during ovulation. My partner and I have been trying to conceive for 7 years with no pregnancies. All the doctors we have met have lead us to a dead end. Pleas help.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Dr Joseph Jabbour

    Gynaecologist, Gynaecologist - Infertility (IVF) Specialist, Obstetrician

    Dr Joseph Jabbour is a specialist Obstetrician & Gynaecologist and Fertility Specialist with Monash IVF situated in Sunnybank (Brisbane Southside). Dr Jabbour has had the … View Profile

    Hi there,

    Trying to conceive for 7 years with no success requires an urgent referral to Fertility Specialist. You will need to have a full work-up to try and find out why you and your partner have been unsuccessful in conceiving. Infertility is a difficult condition for the couple and can be emotionally charged and put life under strain.

    TYour age is an important factor in your management. A proper history is obtained to find out whether you are ovulating (regular cycles), as well as attempting to find out if there are any factors that may affect fertility. It is also important to rule out PCOS and endometriosis. Endometriosis is a benign condition that affects fertility in up to 30% of women. Your partner should be present during the consultation as about 30% of infertility is male factor.

    I would recommend blood tests looking at you ovarian reserve (AntiMullerian Hormone), your hormone levels (FSH,LH and Estradiol) and a pelvic U/S scan to examine your ovaries. There are other tests that are required such as thyroid function test. Further imaging is required to check whether your fallopian tubes are patent. A semen analysis is warranted to rule out any male factor infetility.

    Once these are completed, I would suggest you consider the option of IVF. This should provide you with the best chance at achieving a pregnancy. There is the option of Intrauterine Insemination where the sperm is obtained, and a sample of the best sperm is prepared in the lab after which this is infused into the uterus.

    If there is suspicion of endometriosis, I would recommend a laparoscopy and excision of the endometriosis. Several medical studies have now confirmed that excising the endometriosis increases your fertility rate, especially in the first 6 months after the surgery.

    I wish you all the best, and my recommendation is you see a fertility specialist and look at the option of IVF.

    Good luck

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices