Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How can Glaucoma be treated?

    My optometrist has recommended I visit a specialist to confirm the condition of my eyes. I am concerned about treatment if any.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 3


    Glaucoma Australia is the peak glaucoma awareness/education/support association in Australia.It is a national, not-for-profit registered charity dedicated to providing educational services to raise awareness about … View Profile

    Optometrists are ideally situated to undertake an initial comprehensive eye examination and to make an assessments of eye conditions such as glaucoma. Depending on the optometrist's scope of practice they may be able to suspect glaucoma or make a diagnosis and start treatment. In any case all optometrists need to provide a referral to an eye specialist (ophthalmologist) within four months for further review, including confirming the diagnosis and any treatment needed.

    Ongoing monitoring of the condition may be via the optometrist depending on the working relationship between them and the ophthalmologist and the complexity of the problem.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices