Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Can I become a dental technician if I have rheumatoid arthritis?

    I was diagnosed with RA about 5 years ago. I'm in my twenties now and I'm interested in becoming a dental technician. I have full use of my hands and my RA hasn't flared up at all since I started medication 5 years ago. I'd like to know if becoming a dental technician, perhaps even a dentist, is an option for me.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1



    Being either a dental technician or a dentist requires a high level of manual dexterity. If your RA is well controlled by medication and you feel the use of your hands is not restricted, then probably you could become either. The risk would be however, if the RA flared up and you could no longer use your hands effectively, then all the training you put in could go to waste.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices