Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What is the best treatment for capsulitis?

    Diagnosed with capsulitis. Ignored pain until my 2nd toe began crossing over to my big toe.

    Have been put on anti-inflammatory for 10 weeks, with follow up at that time. Worried about future mobility (3 young children) and also too young for special shoes.

    Tired of hurting and ready to get this fixed. Best options? Thank you
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Michael Pasqualin

    Exercise Scientist, Physiotherapist

    I am a Director, Principal Physiotherapist and Exercise Scientist at Sports Focus Physiotherapy, completing both undergraduate and post graduate degrees at Sydney University. I have … View Profile

    I would suggest your first option is to see a Podiatrist and have them review your condition. Secondly I would suggest seeing a Physiotherapist and have them assess your foot and lower limb to see if there are any contributions further up from the foot which could be causing your pain.


    Michael Pasqualin


  • 1


    Dr Simon Zilko

    Orthopaedic Surgeon

    Dr Simon Zilko - Foot & Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr Simon Zilko is a locally and internationally trained consultant orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in all … View Profile

    If your second toe is crossing over your big toe, then there's much more going on that just capsulitis. It sounds like you've potentially got a signficant bunion (hallux valgus) with second hammer toe deformity, which may include rupture of the 2nd MTP joint plantar plate. This kind of mechanical mal-alignment does not correct itself, and can lead to further pain and gait abnormalities.

    Anti-inflammatories might help to settle down your pain, but they're not going to change your cross-over toe deformity unfortunately.

    I would recommend review by a foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeon, who can assess your foot and advise you on shoes and orthotics, injections, and surgical options.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices