Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What can I do to help with conceiving our first child?

    My partner (30) and I (20) have been trying to conceive for 8 months now with no results. My partner has a primary school aged boy from a previous relationship and I'm just wanting to know what are the next steps once we reach a year of trying to conceive. For example, who do we go see and what sort of test would they do? Does anyone have suggestions to help with trying to conceive?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Dr Joseph Jabbour

    Gynaecologist, Gynaecologist - Infertility (IVF) Specialist, Obstetrician

    Dr Joseph Jabbour is a specialist Obstetrician & Gynaecologist and Fertility Specialist with Monash IVF situated in Sunnybank (Brisbane Southside). Dr Jabbour has had the … View Profile

    85% of women will conceive within 12 months of trying, so there remains a good chance you will conceive in the next 4 months. You should aim to have timed intercourse to maximize your chances of conception. There are Over The Counter urinary kits that predict ovulation. This will help to time when intercourse should optimally occur to achieve a pregnancy. There are lifestyle modifications that you can do: smoking cessation, weight loss, and limiting caffeine and alcohol. These would be my suggestions to help with trying to conceive.

    If you have risk factors for infertility such as strong family history of premature ovarian failure, symptoms of endometriosis (painful periods and pain with intercourse), a history of chlamydia or gonnorrhea infections causing Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, or you have irregular or absent cycles, you would present to your GP sooner than the 12 month period.

    If you have not achieved a pregnancy by the 12 month stage, the first clinician to see would be a General Practitioner. They can organize tests such as a blood tests and vaginal swabs to exclude infections as well as a pelvic Ultrasound scan. Afterwhich a referral to a gynaecologist is warranted.

    There are several tests that are required. I have outlined those in an article from my website and I hope you will find this useful. I will attach a link to it. 

    All the best.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions