Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What exercises can I do to reduce my incontinence?

    After having 3 children I find minor incontinence when I run or laugh too hard.

    I want to try and work on some solutions before I get too much older (I am 50) and find my incontinence is worse.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 3


    Dr David Moore

    Gynaecologist, Gynaecologist - Infertility (IVF) Specialist, Obstetrician

    David received a solid foundation to training in tertiary obstetric units and has developed skills in the management of complex and high-risk pregnancies and deliveries. … View Profile

    Well done on being proactive with your bladder health!
    Even though your urinary incontinence symptoms sound relatively mild, I think you would benefit from learning Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation Exercises (also called “Kegel” exercises).  These aim to strengthen the muscles of your pelvic floor and may improve symptoms of incontinence. 

    Although instructions on how to do PFE can easily be found on the internet or in pamphlets, I believe the best results are seen when these exercises are taught and monitored by a qualified physiotherapist with special training in women’s pelvic floor rehabilitation.  Your GP or Gynaecologist should be able to recommend to you particular physiotherapists who excel in this area.

    Good luck!

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices