Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How do I relieve depression and anxiety due to my family problems?

    Been depressed due to family problems. My brother and i don't get along. I live on my own and have for the last 8 months. My brother lives with my dad. My brother thinks he can control my life. Should i see a psychologist?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 4


    I have been working in Eltham, Melbourne as a relationship and family counsellor for over twelve years. I draw on current theory and research about … View Profile

    It sounds like you are aware that you need help to deal with your family problems, and also that you are ready to work on how you can change in relationship - this is a great start! When choosing a counsellor or psychologist, it will be important to choose someone who has specialized post-graduate training in family therapy. Professionals with this training are skilled in assisting people to understand how problems are generated and maintained in family and relationship systems, and with that understanding to make the necessary changes that are within your control to make.
    If you are suffering from clinical depression this needs to be assessed and possibly treated medically - the first place to start here would be your GP.


  • 1


    I am a psychologist in private practice.I also lecture and supervise psychologists/psychology students at University.I work with clients who suffer from depression and anxiety. I … View Profile

    You are in a difficult situation and I think you could benefit from working through these issues with a psychologist. While we would all prefer to get along well with our families, it is not always possible to do so. A psychologist can help you work through these issues. You may be able to find new solutions to these problems. You may also be able to resolve the feelings of inner conflict and stress .

  • 1


    I am a Melbourne Relationship Counsellor and Family Lawyer who is skilful in helping people get out of the pain of relationship distress and create … View Profile

    Family problems are stressful especially if you feel like your brother is trying to control your life.

    Yes, it would be very helpful to speak to a professional and to get support from a family therapist who can help you understand your relationship dynamics and take some action so that you can take back some of the control and start to feel better about your situation.

    Just because you think your brother feels like he can control your life doesn't mean he really does.

    Getting help with depression is important. It's a good thing to do and most people find it very empowering.

    All the best.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)

Empowering Australians to make better health choices