Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Is there a way to differentiate between Bipolar and depression?

    My husband is extremely depressed (and has been for many years since the death of his brother due to a drug overdose.)He has been told he is a manic depressant and given medications which do not help him and I never see him in any type of mood that is typical of what has been described to me as manic…I have suggested he try an anti depressant instead of the bipolar medication to see if this makes a difference,but he seems to want to hang on to his bipolar tag rather than look to something else that may help him?This is very frustrating as his depression has a very negative effect upon both myself and our children…
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    I think that your husband (if he hasn't already) should see a psychiatrist (not a GP) about this.

    Making a differential diagnosis between Bipolar and Major Depressive Disorder usually needs the skills of an experienced mental health professional.

    The meds which are indicated for Bipolar compared to Major Depressive Disorder are quite different so getting the Dx right is really important.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)

Empowering Australians to make better health choices