Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What kind of health professional should I see if I suspect AF?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Dr Andrei Catanchin

    Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

    Dr Catanchin is a cardiologist and electrophysiologist managing atrial fibrillation and other heart rhythm disorders with medication, devices (ie. pacemakers, defibrillators) and catheter ablation. He … View Profile

    Definitely start off with your GP who will recommend some tests and probably a cardiologist.

  • 3


    Dr Shakeeb Razak

    Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

    Dr. Shakeeb Razak completed his undergraduate medical training at the University of Western Australia and his postgraduate cardiology training at Royal Perth Hospital. He undertook … View Profile

    If you suspect atrial fibrillation, you should firstly consult your general practitioner to :

    1. Confirm the diagnosis with a 12 lead ECG and/or short to long term cardiac monitoring with either a Holter monitor or Event monitor
    2. Organise baseline tests including blood tests (to exclude anaemia, renal impairment and thyroid dysfunction), a chest X-ray (CXR) to exclude complications of atrial fibrillation including heart failure and a baseline transthoracic echocardiogram to evaluate your heart size and function, exclude valve malfunction, exclude intracardiac clots (thrombi) and especially evaluate the left upper chamber (left atria) size. 

    Following this, your general practitioner should refer you to a cardiologist (especially a cardiologist with expertise and an interest in rhythm disorders - called an electrophysiologist) for further assessment and management including consideration of medical therapy and ablation therapy. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices