Statistics tell us that most people who quit smoking gain some weight initially. On average, that gain is between 2-5kg. And for a lot of folks, it is temporary and falls back off within the first year of smoking cessation.Learn how smoking affects your metabolism, and create a plan of action to minimize potential weight gain before you quit smoking. A little preparation can go a long way toward helping you avoid the need to invest in a larger wardrobe to fit your new, nonsmoking self.Set Realistic GoalsDon't overload yourself with too many expectations. Smoking cessation, while far from impossible, is hard work for most of us early on. Starting a new diet at the same time you quit smoking can be a recipe for disaster. Aim instead to maintain your current weight while you manage nictone withdrawal and the months beyond it. Once you're comfortable with your smoke-free status, you can turn your attention to shedding extra weight you're carrying. If you've only gained the typical 2-5 kg, the task won't be too daunting.A Change in Eating HabitsFor many ex-smokers, food takes on a new importance that can quickly become an unhealthy obsession if we're not careful.Why?In part, it has to do with needing a replacement for the act of smoking. Smokers have a powerful hand-to-mouth association and eating is a hand-to-mouth activity. But also, food simply tastes better without cigarette tar clogging delicate taste buds on our tongues. It's not uncommon for ex-smokers to note that food tastes entirely different than it did when they smoked.And then there is the fact that food signals comfort for many of us. A lot of people, smokers or not, use food to soothe and pacify. For those of us who are dealing with the discomforts of nicotine withdrawal, it's natural to turn to food to ease raw nerves and emotions.While we cannot stop eating like we have stopped smoking, we can make choices that will help us avoid weight gain and even enhance how we feel physically. A diet rich in nutrients helps us be at our physical and emotional best, which, in turn makes it easier to maintain the strong will and determination that is necessary to successfully recover from nicotine addiction.Use the tips below to help you start thinking creatively about how to use food as a tool for good health rather than a replacement for smoking.10 Tips For Minimizing Weight Gain
- Pay attention to portions.
Downsize serving sizes: Use a lunch-size plate rather than a dinner plate, and stop after one plate full.
- Read labels.
Aim for foods low in fat and high in protein and fiber. And speaking of portion sizes, be sure to check packaged food labels for portion sizes as well.
- Keep temptation out of the house.
If it's not there, you can't eat it. Stock the fridge and cupboards with healthy food choices so that when the urge to snack strikes, the right foods are within easy reach.
- Indulge your sweet tooth at a restaurant.
Don't allow a half-litre of ice cream shelf space in your freezer. Instead, head out to the ice cream parlour when you're in the mood for a sundae. Doing this safeguards against going back for another scoop, or worse, another bowl later on.
- Drink plenty of water.
If you have the urge to snack, drink a glass of water first. It will help fill you up. So you will eat less, and also beat cravings to smoke.
- Think 80/20.
If 80% of the meals and snacks you eat on a given day are healthy and in the right portions, you can allow yourself a few treats with the other 20% without throwing your diet out of whack.
- Eat more often.
Try eating 5 or 6 small meals throughout your day. The urge to snack is intense early on in cessation, so snack-size meals may suit your needs perfectly. And the good news is, small meals every few hours could give your metabolism a boost. Just watch your calories and keep the total for the day within the correct range for your body.
- Go for a walk.
Exercise will help you avoid weight gain. As little a half hour walk a day can be enough to help you keep your weight stable, as long as you're eating well too. And exercise improves mood too, a nice fringe benefit.
- Distract yourself.
Boredom is a big trigger for smoking and for eating. Make an abrupt change in what you're doing and you can distract away from mindless snacking.
- Find some support.
Find a supportive community of people who are working to quit smoking. Stop in and browse the message board of this active group as a guest, or register (free) and join the discussion.
Report this post
You must be a HealthShare member to report this post.
to your account or
now (it's free).