Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Am I depressed or just over thinking everything?

    I'm tired all the time but I cant sleep because I'm thinking about work or what would happen if my family members died or something randomly bad happened. Stuff that will probably never happen. I HATE going to work everyday and I try to hide from the people there.The stupidest things (spelling mistakes, loud noises, having to repeat myself) make me tense. On weekends all I want to do is sleep or watch TV but then I feel guilty that I'm not out being more interesting or living my life. I have no energy and I feel obliged to fake feelings. Someone suggested that I might be depressed and now I cant stop thinking about that, which makes me feel guilty because I have a relatively good life and I shouldn't be so ungrateful. I either don't really feel anything or I feel awful. I have no appetite or sex drive. Am I just talking myself into feeling this way or do I actually have a problem.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 3


    Pamela Hoy

    Counsellor, Hypnotherapist

    Offering both Hypnotherapy and Counselling for my clients is a double opportunity to change unwanted feelings, thoughts, behaviours and reactions. Accessing both the conscious and … View Profile

    Well, having read your letter I would suggest you make an appointment to consult with your GP. Once you've explained your situation he or she may decide a general checkup, including a blood test is a good idea for you. You may also be asked several questions as to how you're feeling so that the doctor can make a diagnosis regarding if you are in fact experiencing depression. Then your doctor may suggest alternative treatment. He may also suggest a referral.

    Have you actually seen a clinical hypnotherapist or counsellor in the past? Many therapist are both hypnotherapists, and counsellors. Talking to a qualified practitioner may offer you some really great results that could relieve the overwhelming feelings that you've indicated in your letter. They can assist you explore what your thought processes are and why you're feeling the way that you do. As well as developing strategies that assist you to change the unrealistic thoughts and replace them with positive and productive thoughts and feelings.

    It may be difficult for you at this time as you're feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the sounds of your letter. But you may also like to begin just taking really small steps doing something new and easy to do, such as listening to a relaxation CD, or going out for a walk. Picking up the phone and ringing somebody you haven't spoken to for a while. Check out if there are any activities in your local area that are the self-help based, such as yoga, relaxation, different social groups. Good luck in the future.

  • 4



    My name is Anthony, and recently fell into the trap of Anxiey, etc, and after a general xray examination etc, by a doctor i have nevet seen before,and he told me, that i had emphyseema, and thru me sme anti- deppresion dtugs,and suggested there schycologist, but he never, even really told me, how or wstage my emphyseema was at?.. i didny take, the anti deppresion tabs, as i dont feeel “depressed as such”, just bloody tired alot, and now, like to sleep alot, out of work,and not much to do.will just a 30min walk a day, really help me and o dpnt hab a mucus coff or any real coff, so does that mean only got a start of this desease or what? Anthony1

  • I have been working in Eltham, Melbourne as a relationship and family counsellor for over twelve years. I draw on current theory and research about … View Profile

    I would certainly encourage you to see your GP who can do an initial check re whether you are suffering from depression, and give you a general health check as well to determine what is going on for you. From there, if you were to need help for depression, there are medications that can help, and psychological treatment (available through medicare) can assist you with other approaches that have been proven to help with depression. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices