Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

Get information from qualified health professionals on the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    my depression has come back and have thoughts aboout suicide sometimes. What can i do, need help?

    I was diagnosed with depression in 2008 saw a physcologist and was put on zoloft I become so depressed was suicidal I started to get well and still on the meds than last year I got really sick and still am and I have my moments and there are days I want to just give it all up I have seen two physcologist since but cannot relate to them. I need help and not sure what to do now. I am worried I am going to get the way I was in 2008. What can I do I need help.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Angelina Stein

    HealthShare Member

    Dear Healthshare member,

    Here is the number for Lifeline 13 11 14

    I feel for you, it really sounds like you need a review of your meds. It sounds like they are not working for you. Firstly, you need to see your GP,  ASAP and tell them how bad you feel. Your GP can try a different antidepressant - They can refer you to a phsyciatrist (they sort out the right meds for you) and a phsycologist will give you the tools to work through this tough time - you will find one that you can relate to. I highly recommend The Mental Health Access Team, they are amazing - ask your GP about a referral.

    Please hang in there! You matter - You deserve help -
    let us know how you go.
    with love Angelina

  • Damien Haines

    Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist

    Damien Haines is a registered Clinical Psychologist who brings a warm and empathetic approach to therapy. He emphasises engagement in the world and encourages clients … View Profile

    I agree with bluebutterfly above. It can be very difficult to find a mental health practitioner that you can relate to. I would suggest that you persist though. My suggestion always is to search for one on the APS website ( and call those in your area. Talk to them, see if you do connect at least over the phone. Psychologists are usually more than happy to talk to people seeking their help. If they aren't then perhaps that person isn't for you.

    I would also recommend a psychiatrist rather than a GP for your medication. That is their area of expertise - it isn't an area of expertise for a GP - it's not really their primary role.

    I also agree about the Mental Health Access Team and keeping LifeLine's number handy.

    Other places include GROW ( and the Life Line service finder (

    There is helpout there, it may just take a while to find the help that sits well with you

    I wish you well

  • My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    I am sorry to read that you have been having suicidal thoughts - I have been in that dark place too, though not recently.

    One thing which my clinical psychologist impressed on me is that if somebody is having suicidal thoughts *and* has worked out a detailed plan/method then the *only* thing that matters is that they are in a safe place.

    That means go *quickly* to A&E of your nearest hospital - there will be health professionals there who will be able to help.

    All the best.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices