Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Can my child outgrow stuttering?

    My son is 7 years so he has been verbally communicating for a few years already. Will he outgrow his stuttering or should I have him see a speech pathologist?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Donna Rom

    Speech Pathologist

    Since graduating in 2004 I have worked in both adult and paediatric fields across the public (hospital and community health settings) and private sectors and … View Profile

    We dont believe that children ‘outgrow’ stuttering. Stuttering may be a part of normal development for children before the age of 3 years old but if someone is stuttering for more than 6 months and/or has a family history of stuttering we would recommend seeking out a Speech Pathologist to assess and provide necessary treatment. What we do know is that early intervention provides the best outcomes for stuttering. You can have a look on the Speech Pathology Australia website for more information on stuttering and can also find a registered Speech pPathologist in your area who may be able to help you. Hope this helps!

  • Jenny Alkemade

    Speech Pathologist

    Jenny has extensive experience working with preschool and school aged children. Particular interest areas areas are language, fluency (stuttering), Autism and literacy. View Profile

    Children that have been stuttering for more than a year are less likely to stop stuttering spontaneously. A speech pathologist assesses and treats children and adults who stutter and may be able to help your child to speak more fluently.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions