Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Who is the person to talk to for support after a stillbirth?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • SANDS (Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Support) is a self-help support group comprised of parents who have experienced the death of a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth, … View Profile

    Family and friends can sometimes be a great source of strength and support yet this varies.
    Sometimes the need to acknowledge the baby and to grieve for the loss is not recognised by others.
    Talking to other parents who have had a similar experience can be helpful. SANDS offers caring and acceptance in an environment where parents can speak with similarly bereaved parents to share their thoughts and feelings and gain reassurance that their feelings are ‘normal’.

  • Eleni Tsita

    Counsellor, Psychotherapist

    Psychotherapy, counselling and clinical supervision in Melbourne and online. Both short and long term therapy using a client-centred approach that draws on Humanistic and Psychodynamic … View Profile

    I agree with the previous answer that family, friends and other people who have had this experience can be very helpful to talk to after a stillbirth. Additionally, a grief counsellor can assist, particularly as they will have skills and experience in assisting people through such difficult times.
    A counsellor can help you express your thoughts and emotions about your grief and loss. They are not the expert on your grief, but someone who is skilled in supporting you to find meaning and healing through your grief experience, and identify your own hopes and goals.

  • Dr Louisa Hoey

    Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist

    I am a Clinical and Health Psychologist with over 10 years experience. I have expertise in working with people with disordered eating. I work with … View Profile

    I agree with the previous two answers and also thought I could add something - if you are thinking of seeing a psychologist or counsellor, I always say to people it is important that you find a person who you feel comfortable talking with about the loss of your baby.

    Sometimes you won't know if they are right until you meet with them, but you can always talk to them on the phone first and go with your gut feeling about whether you think that you would feel safe opening up. And if after a session it doesn't feel right, don't feel guilty and don't give up. I hope that this provides some help.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions