Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What are the different referral pathways I can follow to see a psychologist?

    Related Topic
    I would like to start seeing a psychologist but I have never seen one before and I don't have much money. How can I go about this in a more cost-effective way?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Naomi Rose


    Naomi Rose is a registered psychologist with the Psychology Board of Australia & AHPRA and an associate member of the Australian Psychological Society. She has … View Profile

    Medicare: Your GP or psychiatrist can write you a Mental Health Care Plan to see a psychologist. Medicare will give you a rebate for 10 sessions per calendar year. ATAPS: WentWest Primary Health Mental care If you live in the western suburbs and are in financial hardship and need to see a psychologist. You can see your GP who can give you a referral to WentWest who in turn will refer you to a psychologist specializing in the mental health area of your need. Private Health Insurance: If you have private health insurance that includes psychological counselling, then you may receive some rebates for the sessions. You need to check with your insurer the number of rebates you are eligible for in a year.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices