Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Why am I incontinent of urine?

    I have had pains in my lower abdomen and until recently been sexually inactive for 2 years. Lately been incontinent of urine at sleep sometimes twice a week. Is it trauma that this is causing?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Dr Joseph Jabbour

    Gynaecologist, Gynaecologist - Infertility (IVF) Specialist, Obstetrician

    Dr Joseph Jabbour is a specialist Obstetrician & Gynaecologist and Fertility Specialist with Monash IVF situated in Sunnybank (Brisbane Southside). Dr Jabbour has had the … View Profile

    I would recommend you present to your GP for an assessment. 

    The first test that can be done for you is a urine check for infection. This is known as a Urinary Tract Infection UTI and can cause the symptoms you are having. This can be effectively treated with a course of antibiotics. A UTI can also be occur after intercourse. 

    Your doctor will take a full history then they can do an examination and exclude any trauma.

    A scan of your bladder would be warranted including a pelvic ultrasound scan to exclude other causes to your pelvic pain. If these tests do not reveal a cause to your incontinence, a referral to a gynaecologist or a urogynaecologist is warranted to do a proper workup. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices