Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How can I get my partner assessed and treated for a behaviour disorder?

    My partner self-medicates severely with alcohol (and I am suspecting he is an alcoholic as he can not go without it) and he displays rapid cycling episodes of manic behaviour (drinking, not sleeping, irrationally ranting and raving, not eating, not working) culminating in irrational perceptions of my faithfulness (lack thereof).

    When he is in this state , which is seemingly increasing, he is suspicious of everything I do to the point of being paranoid. How can I get him assessed in order to get help? When he is ‘normal’ he is is funny and kind and insightful of his inappropriate behaviour.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Jeremy Barbouttis

    Counsellor, Hypnotherapist, Psychotherapist, Sex Therapist

    Jeremy is an expert in Hypnotherapy, Psychotherapy, Sex Therapy, Relationships & Addictions. Jeremy is a Clinical Supervisor with the Australian Hypnotherapists Association.Specialisations: Stop Smoking Hypnosis, … View Profile

    As you have described your husband's behaviour here, I would suggest his first point for assessment be his GP. What you are describing may also need to be assessed by a psychiatrist, but your GP should be able to make the initial assessment and referral as needed.

  • My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    I agree with Jeremy that encouraging your husband to ask his GP to refer him to a psychiatrist is a good idea. *Possibly*, from what you have described, he has Bipolar Disorder - a psychiatric assessment will help here.

    As far as his drinking is concerned, encouraging your husband to get his GP to refer him to a clinical psychologist who has experience of helping clients with substance abuse issues may also be helpful.

    All the best.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices