Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Who is best to treat my scratched eye, a GP, Optometrist or Opthalmologist?

    2days ago I scratched by eye on a sharp tree branch.

    It is a large, painful scratch that is showing no sign of healing.

    Who is best to treat me, a GP, Optometrist or Opthomologist?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 3


    Have been in private practice for 40 years and specialise in assessing eye diseases and giving professional advice regarding these conditions. With the installation of … View Profile

    A scratched eye or corneal abrasion are uncomfortable and create light sensitivity.Generally a doctor or optometrist are the first port of call.A mimor scratch is generally treated by topical antibiotics,but if no response or occurs with treatment then a more serious bacterial or fungal infection can be present.The Dr or Optometrist will refer to an ey specialist ASAP for further investigation

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices