Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Why are Doctors & Specialists so dismissive to Thyroid problems?

    Recent tests indicate I have ANA 320 Speckled, Thyroglobulin antibodies 121 U/ml, low TSH, high blood calcium, high albumin, high copper, low chromium, low magnesium, deficient in vitamin D.

    I have Coeliac's Disease (diagnosed 2004) and Hyperinsulinemia/Insulin Resistance (diagnosed 2012). I maintain a gluten free low carb low GI diet.

    In the past 12 months I have been feeling very unwell. My Symptoms are severe anxiety, mental confusion/fogginess, inability to concentrate, slurred speech, headaches, dizzy, knee & shoulder pains, tightness in throat, weight loss, cough, sinus inflammation, cold tingly hands & feet, palpitations, shortness of breath, swollen tongue with raised white bumps at the back left side, intolerant of stress, irritable, bad night vision, teary gritty eyes, blurred/double vision, itchy scalp, brittle hair & loss. My GP keeps saying I'm ok. I definitely don't feel ok!

    I have family history of Hashimoto's, Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Goiter, Chronic Lymphatic Leukeamia
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    I am sorry to read that you are not feeling well.

    I suggest that you get your GP to give you referrals to a clinical immunologist and a clinical endocrinologist. They, as a team, will be able to interpret your high ANA, low TSH and high thyroglobulin antibody levels as well as your abnormal blood metal ion levels - these are all suggestive of a number of different illnesses.

    They will be able to arrange for more detailed investigations and, depending on the results of those, recommend appropriate treatment(s).

    All the best.

  • 3


    Dr Nicolas Oddone Baridon MBBS, MS, MD, FRACS is an accomplished and passionate General Surgeon whose main interest is thyroid surgery (endocrine surgeon). He has … View Profile

    The symptoms you have are very vague and not specific, they could correspond to a multitude of pathologies. I suggest you see an endocrinologist. Dr. Ken Ho would be my first recommendation in Eastwood. You might not be from the area but it may be worth the travel.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices