Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How can I help my 18 yr old son who suffers from depression?

    Related Topic
    My son is taking Zoloft, suffers from depression but when something does not go his way he tends to blame his illness and his medication, that it is not working, im not sure if that is the case of if its just because he does not want to do something, the sorts of things i am talking about is going to work, starting at 4am in the morning and later some days he does not work every day and generally seems to enjoy the work but I am just lost as to what to do to help him he is overweight, lonely and wont go out and meet people :( help
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    Writing as somebody who is in  remission from depression, thanks in part to an anti-depressant, matching the “right” anti-depressant to the “right” person is often a matter of trial-and-error.

    If Zoloft is not helping your son, perhaps you could suggest to him that he sees his prescribing doctor to discuss the option of another anti-depressant.

    As far as his other issues are concerned, maybe a clinical psychologist could work with him to help him resolve them.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices