Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What support is there for victims of abuse?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1




    Chris Larkin


    Anyone who has been physically abused has suffered from a criminal act. Victims of Crime are entitled to financial compensation and support to assist them in recovering from such criminal behaviour.

    Victims of Crime Compensation and Counselling Services (VOCCS) Australia provides a free compensation and counselling referral service to anyone who has suffered harm as a result of criminal behaviour throughout Australia. This includes those who have suffered from abuse, whether directly as the object of abuse, or indirectly as someone who has suffered from having witnessed abuse.

    Full details and an online enquiry form are available on

  • 6


    My name is Catherine and I completed my counselling studies at the Australian Catholic University. As a Counsellor, I have worked in Australia, England, Rwanda, … View Profile

    Hi there,

    You have raised a very important question, so, thank-you for asking. Firstly, I absolutely agree with what Chris wrote, as Victims of Crime can assist victims in accessing crucial support services during their time of need. This is through financial support as well as referral information. 

    Some victims of abuse may choose not to identify as being a victim for a plethora of reasons. I think for anyone who has experienced abuse, seeing a counsellor would be very helpful regardless, just so that the victim can safely access support regarding their emotional wellbeing. Most major areas have a Community Health Service (CHS) whereby people can access free to low cost face to face counselling services, among other health services, in their local area. 

    In Victoria, victims/survivors of sexual assault can access various services from an organisation called Centres Against Sexual Assault (CASA). CASA has offices all throughout the state of Victoria. CASA has a 24/7 crisis telephone helpline, offers specialist counselling services, and provides information and referrals accordingly.

    I hope this helps,

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices