Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    When should I seek medical attention for a stye?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 2


    I have thirty years in private practice as an optometrist at the same location in Leichhardt and have done four postgraduate courses pertaining to Diseases … View Profile

    A stye is a bacterial infection of the oil-producing gland of an eyelash.

    Try heat for fifteen minutes 2-4 times per day. If not much improvement after a week or so, go to your optometrist who will prescribe an antibiotic ointment which may be applied twice a day.

    If still little improvement after another week or so, return to the optometrist who may remove the involved eyelash in order to create a channel for easier drainage of the pus. This should result in a speedier resolution of the stye.  

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices