Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How to help my child with strabismus?

    My child has strabismus (his eyes are not aligned properly). I worry how his peers may treat him as they grow older… and throughout adulthood. advice??
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Simon has over 30 years experience in Optometry and Optical Dispensing and is the owner of North Lakes Optometry, an Ethical, Independent Optometry Practice providing … View Profile

    He should be examined by an optometrist or ophthalmologist as soon as possible. Depending on the cause of strabismus he may need spectacles or surgery. The sooner the cause of the strabismus is diagnosed the better.

  • Tania Straga


    I am an orthoptist that specialises in eye movement disorders, paediatric vision assessment, double vision assessment and prism correction. I provide neuro orthoptic assessments to … View Profile

    Getting your child assessed by a trained professional is certainly the first step in the process. Once this is done a treatment plan can be devised and a prognosis made. It may also help to explain the condition to your son at an age appropriate level. There are several picture books on the market that are aimed at 3 to 8 year olds, that explain needing to wear glasses, having strabismus, and wearing an eye patch. Children might also like to take these books to kindergarten or school for “show and tell” to help other children understand the condition better.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)

Empowering Australians to make better health choices