Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Who should you report sexual abuse to?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Ivan Bakich

    Clinical Psychologist, Counsellor, Hypnotherapist, Psychologist, Psychotherapist, Sex Therapist

    I work in the area of Clinical Psychology including Testing, Intellectual Assessments and Basic Neuropsychological Assessments. I am also a Psychotherapist, Marital/Couples and Family Therapist, … View Profile

    First, if it is a child, to her/his mother, father, teacher. If reporting to the relatives, it may be tricky because a relative in many cases may be the abuser! Parents will then take action and notify the DoCS, the DoCS will then notify the police and the perpetrator will be arrested and taken in for questioning. The victim will be taken for an examination if deemed necessary or appropriate and for careful questioning by the police special unit.

    For adults, they can report to the police or if embarrasses or too distressed, or shameful, to a trusted very close friend who can notify the police.  Very often in our practice we see many women and men who are too ashamed to tell anyone. Instead, they go through life of agony and extreme pain, suffering, humiliation, and shame, yet psychological and other help is available together with a possibility of being compensated for their suffering. Victims may approach the Victims Services - Attorneys General in Parramatta for further information and assistance.

    I hope this information was of some help.

    Ivan S. Bakich
    Clinical Psychologist - working with victims of trauma including sexual abuse.

  • I have been working in Eltham, Melbourne as a relationship and family counsellor for over twelve years. I draw on current theory and research about … View Profile

    No matter where you are in Australia, a good place to start - whether you are worried about someone else or are dealing with your own trauma - is to call the national sexual assault helpline specifically set up for this purpose - 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

    A trained counsellor will help you or the person you are concerned to deal with immediate safety issues if you/they are still at risk of further sexual assault,, give you more detailed information that suits your situation, and link you to the relevant services (police, counselling, child protection services etc) that can take thngs further.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices