Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Who provides palliative care?

    Related Topic
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • PCA is the peak national organisation representing the interests and aspirations of those who share the ideal of quality care at the end of life … View Profile

    Palliative care is provided by a number of different health professionals, depending on the needs of the patient and the resources and needs of their family and carers. Some may specialise in palliative care and work full time in that role. Others will include palliative care as a part of their job, such as GPs and aged care nurses.

    Many health professionals may be involved in delivering care and generally they will work as part of an interdisciplinary team. A care team may include:

    • general practitioners
    • specialist palliative care doctors and nurses
    • specialist doctors – oncologists, cardiologists, neurologists, respiratory physicians
    • nurses
    • allied health professionals – pharmacists, occupational, therapists, physiotherapists
    • social workers
    • grief and bereavement counsellors
    • pastoral care workers
    • volunteers
    You can read more about the roles of different health professionals involved in palliative care on the CareSearch website -

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices