Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Which physical activity is best for ageing well?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Jean Hailes for Women’s Health is a leader in women’s health, supported by funding from the Australian Government. We provide trusted and easy-to-understand information to … View Profile

    Whichever activity you enjoy and can commit to regularly is the best for you. Avoid activities that cause pain or soreness in your joints and muscles. Activities that focus on muscle strengthening (such as weights) and balance and flexibility (such as yoga, tai chi or pilates) are a good choice at any age, but are particularly good for people in their 60s and beyond to help prevent falls. Before embarking on a new exercise regime, it is a good idea to see your doctor if you have not been active for some time, have a history of heart disease or chest pains, have diabetes, are very overweight, are a smoker or have high blood pressure.

  • Gaby Wolf

    Exercise Physiologist

    As an Exercise Physiologist, I specialise in improving the balance, mobility and quality of life of older adults through specific falls prevention exercises. I am … View Profile

    Physical activity is essential for ageing well. I would recommend doing anything that you enjoy that is going to add positively to your life. Walking is very important, especially outdoors or outside your home, as this will maintain your quality of life. If you can exercise in a social situation, that would be ideal. Weight-bearing exercises to strengthen your legs are important in preventing falls. Balance exercises are also vital.

    Examples of exercises you can do at home:
    - Sit-to-stands
    - Heel to toe walking
    - Side steps
    - Calf raises
    - Wall push-ups
    - Hip Abduction
    - Hip Extension

    I would recommend speaking to your GP who could refer you to an Exercise Physiologist to help you create a physical activity program that works for you. 

    Gaby Wolf

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices