Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Shared Experiences

    Trying to fall pregnant

    Hi, my husband and I have been trying for a baby for the past 6 months with no luck. At what point do we need to seek assistance from professionals? Is this a normal length of time? I'm really worried that something is wrong with mine or my husbands fertility.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Oz Guy

    HealthShare Member


    I know some people they been trying for years before any success. So   I wouldn't worry if it's only been 6 months.

    From my experience, having a good diet and healthy lifestyle will be a good start.

    If you are concerned you can talk with you GP and there are few test both of you can do to make sure everything is good.

  • Women's Health Queensland Wide provides free health information for Queensland women. View Profile


    Most health professionals will not consider any investigations for you or husband until you have been trying for over 12 months. It however, also depends on your age. If you are over 35 years, you may like to consult your doctor after 6 months of trying.

    There are many other things to consider when you are tying to have a baby. Take a look at our fact sheet on Preconception Health.


    Women’s Health Educator

    Health Information Line, Women’s Health Queensland Wide

    Women living in Queensland can also call our Health Information Line - a free information and referral service for Queensland women - on 3839 9988 or 1800 017 676 (toll free outside Brisbane).

    Please note that all health information provided by Women’s Health Queensland Wide is subject to this disclaimer.

  • D Susa

    HealthShare Member


    We had been trying for about 8 months before we sought help… my husband is older than me so we didn't want to wait to long.  Speak to your GP first - they can do some tests and perhaps ask to be referred if you are still concerned. 

    For us it has been a long and emotional journey which we are still on!

    Hope this helps!

  • VARTA is a statutory authority based in Melbourne, Australia, providing independent, accurate information about fertility, infertility and assisted reproductive treatment (ART). View Profile

    Hello there,

    If you have concerns about your fertility, or your husband's, by all means go and see your doctor. Generally, we would advise seeking medical help, starting with a visit to your doctor, if you are over 35 and have been trying to conceive for six months or more, or for a year if you are under 35. Stay tuned for the Your Fertility website we will be launching with our partner organisations in the Fertility Coalition early next year.

    Kind regards



You must be a Health Professional to comment. Log in or Sign up .

Empowering Australians to make better health choices

Community Contributor