Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How do I know if what I am feeling is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

    I often find that I have a bloated stomach and someones it is gassy and uncomfortable (particularly after a meal)- is this Irritable Bowel Syndrome? And if so how can I treat it?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Someone someone

    HealthShare Member

    Thanks for your response A couple of years ago I had those breath tests done and the doctor lost the tubes in transit and pretty much blammed the transport company so I got no results which was extreamly frustrating and he charged me for the appointment about $250 which was equally as frustraing because he lost the tests which took hours to complete (and I had to fast!). That aside, I should go and see another stomach doctor and get the tests done again. Thanks for your advice.

  • 1


    Dr Tom Xinyi Zhou


    Dr Tom Zhou is a specialist Gastroenterologtist. His specialist interests include Endoscopy, Colonosocopy, Liver diseases and Colon cancer screening. Dr Tom Zhou completed his Medical … View Profile

    The symptoms you have described may be due to Irritable bowel syndrome. However irritable bowel syndrome is a diagnosis of exclusion. You should see your doctor and have appropriate tests done to exclude other organic gastroenterological conditions.

    Once the diagnosis is firmly established and other serious medical conditions are excluded, a review by an experienced dietitian who has an interest in IBS and FODMAP diet is often most helpful in improving your symptoms.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices