Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Pain from Bursitis in my shoulders - what can I do to help them mend?

    From looking up the symptoms I have, it would seem that I have bursitis in both my shoulders. My right shoulder and arm have been aggravated more than my left, and last Friday I tripped and fell onto my right shoulder. The pain is quite bad. I have been receiving scenar treatment on my shoulders (prior to this fall) - is this enough to help them mend? I am very limited in what I am able to do atm
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1




    Brian Lee


    I graduated from the University of Melbourne in 2004 and have worked in various healthcare settings, including primary care, private practice and community health services, … View Profile

    You should seek professional opinion, as limited ROMs and pain aren't exclusive to shoulder bursitis, other conditions like frozen shoulder, muscle imbalance, muscle tear or even brachial plexus entrapment/neuropathy ...etc can give almost identical symptoms. Without proper diagnosis, full recovery is almost impossible by simple random treatments.

  • 1




    Dr Marcus Chia

    Orthopaedic Surgeon

    Dr Marcus Chia is an Orthopaedic Surgeon in Sydney, Australia. As a Fellowship trained Shoulder and Elbow surgeon, he employs the most current arthroscopic and … View Profile

    Bursitis of the shoulder (inflammation of the subacromial bursa) typically occurs as a result of rotator cuff impingement. Treatment aims to reduce the pain and inflammation as well as correct the shoulder dysfunction that results in impingement. This includes rest, activity modification, analgesic and anti-inflammatory medications and corticosteroid injections BUT the mainstay of treatment is a structured exercise program. If your pain persists despite such treatment further investigation and referral to a shoulder specialist would be appropriate.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices