Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What are my options for a prolapsed bowel and bladder?

    I am mid way through menopause and have a prolapsed bowel and bladder.

    I have a family member who had a net put in place with surgery, however have heard this is no longer a good option.

    Really hoping to do something to fix this problem.

    Thank you.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 4


    Dr Joseph Jabbour

    Gynaecologist, Gynaecologist - Infertility (IVF) Specialist, Obstetrician

    Dr Joseph Jabbour is a specialist Obstetrician & Gynaecologist and Fertility Specialist with Monash IVF situated in Sunnybank (Brisbane Southside). Dr Jabbour has had the … View Profile

    There are different methods to managing your prolapse. 

    Initially you need to be seen by a gynaecologist who will examine you and assess the severity of your prolapse. This would involve a pelvic examination and assessing your uterus to see whether your uterus is prolapsed as well. If you have had a hysterectomy, your doctor would assess the top of your vagina (the vaginal vault) to check if it is prolapsing.

    Firstly, you can conservatively manage your prolapse with pelvic physiotherapy and a vaginal pessary. A pessary comes in different forms and sizes and it functions to hold your organs up. 

    Secondly, you can have surgery. Surgery depends on the severity of your prolapse and whether your uterus/vault is prolapsing as well. There are different approaches to the repair of Pelvic Organ Prolapse. There is a vaginal approach using your native tissue and avoiding mesh (what you refer to as net). This has a recurrence rate of about 25% after a few years. This approach would be the first line of surgery as opposed to using a mesh. If this fails, a mesh can be utilized and this is still a good option as long as the surgery is performed by a gynaecologist with experience in this surgery. Alternatively you can have a laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery to your repair. 

    The most important thing to realize is that this is fixable and you should definitely seek help and advice from a gynaecologist as well as a physiotherapist. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices