Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Is it possible to repair rectocele?

    is it possible to repair a rectocele surgically in a 67 year old female who wants to continue having a sex life?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    Women's Health Queensland Wide provides free health information for Queensland women. View Profile

    Prolapse of the rectum is referred to as rectocele. A rectocele is the bulging of the rectum forward into the vagina.
    The aim of reconstructive surgery is
    the correction of all anatomical defects
    the maintenance or restoration of bladder function
    the maintenance or restoration of bowel function
    the maintenance of sexual function.
    You need to get a referral from your Dr. to a specialist such as a urogynaecologist or Gynaecologist. I am confident that you can be helped and continue with a an active sex life.
    Women’s Health Educator
    Health Information Line, Women’s Health Queensland Wide
    Women living in Queensland can also call our Health Information Line - a free information and referral service for Queensland women - on 3839 9988 or 1800 017 676 (toll free outside Brisbane).
    Please note that all health information provided by Women’s Health Queensland Wide is subject to this disclaimer

  • 1


    Dr David Moore

    Gynaecologist, Gynaecologist - Infertility (IVF) Specialist, Obstetrician

    David received a solid foundation to training in tertiary obstetric units and has developed skills in the management of complex and high-risk pregnancies and deliveries. … View Profile

    It is absolutely possible to repair a rectocele and maintain sexual function.

    Prolapse is a quality of life issue: the need for treatment depends on the impact the symptoms are having on your life, and you and the best judge of that!

    I'd encourage you to see a Gynaecologist for a discussion about your concerns and a physical examination.  Afterwards, appropriate treatment options, and their risks and benefits, can be discussed.

    Depending on the severity of your rectocele, there may be suitable non-surgical options also (such as pelvic floor exercises, as instructed by a qualified pelvic floor physiotherapist).

    You may find more helpful information here.

    Best wishes.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices