Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What should I do about my gender identity confusion?

    I'm only 14, so can I change my gender or at least take testosterone blocker pills before and without my parents knowing?

    Maybe I can take a little bit of estrogen pills just to make my body ready for it? (the transition from male to female).
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1


    My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease … View Profile

    My understanding is that experiencing uncertainty about gender identity is quite common and normal for many people in the adolescence stage of their lives.

    I think that taking the medications that you have mentioned without talking with health professionals first is not a good idea.

  • 1




    Michelle Linmore

    Counselling Psychologist, Counsellor, Psychologist, Sex Therapist

    Specializing in couples counselling, infertility, gay and lesbian counselling, sex therapy and relationship workshops. Based in Canberra. View Profile

    It sounds as though you have been doing some reading about gender identity which is a great place to start.  

    You are not alone in this journey and it may well make sense to explore taking medical action before puberty alters your body too much.  You will need a lot of resources and support to be able to move forward with this though.  It makes sense to talk these big decisions through before leaping into anything and you will need to meet with someone who can help work out with you whether you meet the criteria for disgnosis and treatment before you start to consider options.

    Because this issue is unfamiliar and confronting to many people (parents and doctors included), it makes sense to find some experienced health practitioners who are familiar with working in this area and can help support you as you make decisions about your future, how to manage your family relationships, and what you need and want to do medically.

    It would probably be helpful to see a GP initially as they may be able to refer you to a bulk billing psychologist.  If this feels too tricky, try calling a telephone counselling service like Kids helpline or Lifeline to talk through what services might be available to you in your area, or if you have a Gender centre nearby they will probably have great information and relevant referral info. Good luck!

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question
Community Sponsor(s)
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices