Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

Get information from qualified health professionals on the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    "Floppy eardrum"...Do I need to see an ENT?

    Blowing my nose far too hard several years ago whilst overseas, I experienced a sudden “pop” and became immediately dizzy. Half hour later intensifying pain started and I went off to see a doctor. I couldnt speak the language but he squirted something in my ear and put me on some medication, and it subsided.

    Ever since then though, my ear drum seems to “pop in/out” occasionally. When it does, my own voice is amplified inside my head making it difficult to speak or hear.

    Additionally, if I go surfing and water slaps against my ear (even gently), I experience intense pain and a sensation of salt water inside my ear and down my throat. This subsides within 15 minutes.

    Both these symptoms have been going on for about 4 years, without improvement or worsening. My GP looked inside my ear and said he “could not see a hole”.

    Should I see an ENT? Or is this likely just something I need to live with?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1




    Dr David McIntosh

    Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon

    David McIntosh is an Australian trained ENT surgeon with international experience. His areas of interest are paediatrics, nose and sinus disease, and providing access to … View Profile

    You should definitely seek the advice of an ENT. For what it's worth, this is our website that may have more info.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices