Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    How do I get a family member tested for Alzheimer's?

    My grandmother is showing signs of cognitive memory issues such as the inability to understand, repeating herself, focusing on things which are from years gone by, delusions about her neighbours, her speech seems to be more limited (using limited vocabulary) , struggling when thinking about something or what she wants to say.

    I am concerned this is potentially Alzheimer's. A recent brain scan has also shown in her results “suggestion of severe vessel ischaemic disease” which I understand can be a sign of Alzheimer's also. How do I go about having her tested? Also how would you suggest I initiate this conversation with her?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 5


    Dr Nicholas Bradfield

    Clinical Neuropsychologist, Psychologist

    Dr Bradfield is a Clinical Neuropsychologist working in private practice and in the public health system in Melbourne, Australia. He has clinical experience conducting neuropsychological … View Profile

    I would recommend taking her to her GP as the first point of contact.  From there, you may be able to get a referral to a suitable specialist (neurologist, psychiatrist or geriatrician).  If there is still uncertainty about the diagnosis, you may want to consider seeing a neuropsychoogist.  If your grandmother has any insight into her difficulties (for example realises her memory isn't as good as she would like it to be), you could suggest that it might be a good idea to go get a check up with the doctor.  

    Severe small vessel ischaemic disease is not the same as Alzheimer's disease.  Severe small vessel ischaemic disease means that many of the small blood vessels are damaged, and this can cause dementia.  It is often descibed as lots of mini strokes.  

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices