Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Can I use an antihistamine for 3 y.o with eczema?

    Related Topics
    My daughter has had eczema since she was a newborn. We moisturise repeatedly during the day, use bath oil at night, never use soap & apply steroid cream to her creases daily (not routinely, only because it is needed & so hard to get on top of). We have discovered that her eczema flares everytime we go away on holidays. I believe this is related to dust in the holiday rental places but could also be stress related (??) Am I able to use an antihistamine for my 3y.o's eczema if we know she is going to have a flare up?
    Also, it appears to be affecting her ability to have a good nights rest & she wakes each day really tired. Would an antihistamine be appropriate treatment in combination with all that we are already doing?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 3


    I have been a paediatric registered nurse for over twenty years. I am trained asthma educator, early childhood nurse and currently work in the area … View Profile

    You can use a antihistamine, but unfortunatley antihistamines often dont give any relief for people with exzema. If you do choose to use an antihistamine consult your pharmacist or doctor first and follow the recommended dosaging on the bottle for your childs age. You can seek further information at the ASCIA website relating to excema or seek advice from your GP, paediatrician, dermatologist or paediatric allergy specialist. 

  • 2


    Prof Rodney Sinclair

    Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

    Professor Sinclair is a Professor of Dermatology at the University of Melbourne and Director of Sinclair Dermatology. He is past-president of the Australasian Society for … View Profile

    Eczema or atopic dermatitis can be effectively treated.  It sounds like your daughter would benefit from a specialist opinion. I would recommend you ask your GP for a referral to a dermatologist inthe first instance.  If allergy testing is needed that can be done once the eczema has selttled. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices