Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Is it necessary to treat endometriosis?

    I recently had severe pelvic pain and fever which was initially determined to be a large endometrioma (10cm). I had a laparoscopy and they disovered the mass was an abscess cause by pelvic inflammitory disease, but that I also had medium to severe endometriosis and a bicornate uterus.

    I was told that I should have zoladex for 6 months but I've been extremely emotional for the last 3 weeks and was wondering whether zoladex can cause this kind of effect? If so is it really necessary for me to be treating endometriosis? I'm 34 and have been on the pill since age 16 to regulate my periods, but I've never had so much pain that they have interfered with everyday life. Is there any reason I should continue zoladex when my periods are managable by the pill?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Women's Health Queensland Wide provides free health information for Queensland women. View Profile

    All medicines can have side effects.Sometimes they are serious, most of the time they are not. You may need medical treatment if you get some of the side effects Like wise Zoladex Side effect symptoms maybe but are not excluded to

    skin rashes
    * painful joints
    * hot flushes, sweating or feeling faint
    * chills
    * tingling in fingers or toes
    * swelling, soreness or itchiness of the breasts
    * vaginal dryness
    * headache
    * mood changes
    * trouble passing urine or experience lower back pain
    * men may notice their testicles getting smaller

    Obviously quality of life issues are important. If you feel you symptoms are managed well with the combined oral contraceptive then perhaps you shold speak with your specialst again.
    Women’s Health Educator
    Health Information Line, Women’s Health Queensland Wide

    Women living in Queensland can also call our Health Information Line - a free information and referral service for Queensland women - on 3839 9988 or 1800 017 676 (toll free outside Brisbane).

    Please note that all health information provided by Women’s Health Queensland Wide is subject to this disclaimer

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices