Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    If I have a sports related injury should I first see my general practitioner or can I find a physiotherapist on my own?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Ann Wu


    Ann is a sports physiotherapist specialising in all sporting injuries from foot injuries through to knee pain and sports related back and neck pain.Ann has … View Profile

    Physiotherapists in Australia are first contact practitioners. You do not require a referral from your GP.   You would ideally see a APA titled sports physiotherapist - you can find a list of titled physiotherapists on

  • Jonathan Harris


    Jonathan Harris is a Titled Sports and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapist having achieved Master Degrees in both fields. As well as his undergraduate Physiotherapy degree he also … View Profile

    You don't have to see a GP.  You can just find a physiotherapist and make a booking. We are primary care practitioners which means there is no referral needed to see us.  In your case, so you know, if you can find a Titled Sports Physiotherapist, it would be better for you.  They have done extra study in the area of sporting injuries and would be able to give you the most up to date advice on your injury and what to do.  Good luck,  jono

  • Jason Bradley


    Hands on and exercise-based treatment that is personalised and focused on long term results delivered in private well-appointed treatment rooms. We strive to provide you … View Profile

    In addition to being titled you should also check that the practice you intend to book into treats in a way that you think is acceptable (eg do they have curtained cubicles vs private rooms, do they see only one patient at a time or have multiple bookings). A good way to find this sort of information out is ask your friends and relatives to find out who they have good experiences with and can recomend.

    Sometimes having a therapist who has a similar approach to health and a good bed side manner is far important then the level of qualification.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Ask a health question

Empowering Australians to make better health choices