Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    Can I get a tummy tuck after a emergency C section?

    I have lost a lot of weight due to a gastric sleeve procedure 3 years ago, I had my son in 2002, and I was seeing the midwife all the way up to the birth of my son I was told that everything is going to plan with his positioning, upon seeing the actual doctor he told me that the baby was breach and I needed an emergency c section ASAP so the next day after I had undergone a c section, I felt very robbed of this and now I am left with an apron we the scar is, and due to the weight loss it looks worse than before, so I was told that a tummy tuck could be covered under Medicare because of the circumstances, some advice on this would be great.
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1





    HealthShare Member

    I'm in the exact same position and would love to know!

  • 1


    Dr Mahyar Amjadi

    Breast Surgeon, Hand Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (Reconstructive & Cosmetic)

    Dear member

    There is a provision in Medicare for an abdominoplasty after massive weight loss. A slightly modified abdominoplasty may be needed to account for previous c-section.

    I suggest you consult a Specialist and do your research before choosing a surgeon. 

  • 1




    Dr Jillian Tomlinson

    Hand Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (Reconstructive & Cosmetic)

    Dr Jill Tomlinson is a fully qualified plastic, reconstructive and hand surgeon. After graduating dux in her year at University High School, Jill completed medical … View Profile

    Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss, Vonnie77. Many women report difficulties with an apron after childbirth or significant weight loss, as Butterflywings' comment shows. The difficulties can include rashes, discomfort, difficulty with clothing and exercise, feelings of embarrassment and low self-esteem.

    There is a Medicare rebate for tummy tuck surgery (“abdominoplasty”) and if you have private health insurance that means that your insurer will likely cover the cost of your stay in a private hospital. You can check phoning your health insurer and asking if you are covered for the Medicare Item Number 30177. 

    There are generally out of pocket costs for surgery, which may include fees from the surgeon and anaesthetist, for compression garments and for scar management products.

    I hope this information helps to answer your questions.

  • 2


    Dr. John Mahony

    Cosmetic Physician

    Dr John Mahony studied Medicine at Sydney University 1980-1984 graduating early 1985. Internship and residency years followed in the Illawarra, covering general medical and surgical … View Profile

    It is  presumed that you aren't having any more children, but, if this is the case, then on balance abdominoplasty seems the right course.

    Remember there *will* be scars, likely longer than your c-section scarring. Your belly-button will likely need work, and might not look quite right afterwards, but likely better than now.

    Better is better.

  • Carmela Cassar- Mence

    HealthShare Member

    I would like to know also ,I had sleeve in 2009 & have pain in my lower back & hips from tummy pulling down . I would like to know dose private health cover , pay for this to be rectified under health issues & would they pay for it instead if being out of pocket as it's a health issue & causing health issues .can you help me I'm in Victoria 

  • 2


    Carmela Cassar- Mence

    HealthShare Member

    What I am trying to say is can I get the tummy tuck for free under medical reasons & if yes how & where . It causes me great pain & discomfort. I lost 45 Klo & need to loose more but this restricts me at times .feeling unwell about it would love to get both tummy tuck & breast lift was 26 G lost lot of my Brest still have quite large Brest have shoulder pain often 

  • Dr Mahyar Amjadi

    Breast Surgeon, Hand Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (Reconstructive & Cosmetic)

    Dear Carmela

    I am not aware of any options of getting the surgery you require for 'free'. You can use your private health fund to cover  significant portion of the fees, but there will always be a 'gap'.

    I suggest you consult a Specialist and do your research before choosing a surgeon.

    All the best

  • 1


    Dr Mark Edinburg

    Plastic Surgeon (Reconstructive & Cosmetic)

    Utilising my experience and passion for my chosen field of Plastic and Reconstructive surgery, I am able to combine my skills as a Specialist Plastic … View Profile

    Hello, and thanks for your question.

    The "apron" or saggy looking skin is common in many women after childbirth and for patients following dramatic weight loss or simply a decrease in general body tone and shape as the years go by.

    In your case, you may require a slightly modified technique of tummy tuck due to your previous C-section surgery, but abdominoplasty surgery is certainly possible and will help create a flatter, smoother tummy for you.

    Medicare does give a rebate for this surgery, but the Medicare item number is related to weight loss rather than to any other past medical procedure including Caesarean section. Health fund rebates will follow suit if a Medicare item number applies to your surgery.

    Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty surgery requires a lot of expertise and skill, and experienced surgeons will not provide this level of service for the Medicare and health fund rebate alone, so there will always be a 'gap' for the surgeon's costs. Hospital expenses, usually to the tune of thousands of dollars because a tummy tuck patient will need to stay in hospital for anywhere from 2-6 nights, will be met by your Health Fund if you meet the criteria for Medicare and have a high enough level of fund cover.

    Tummy tuck surgery is very technical and is individualised to each person's body.

    Your best option, really, is to seek the advice of a qualified Plastic Surgeon who will examine you and discuss with you your specific concerns. That way, you can find out what options are most appropriate for you.

    I hope I have helped you.


answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions