Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What type of doctor should see about my snoring?

  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • 1




    The Sleep Health Foundation is dedicated to raising awareness of the importance of ‘valuing sleep’ as part of a healthy lifestyle alongside regular exercise, a … View Profile

    The first doctor to see about your snoring is your general practitioner (GP). They know your overall history and will be able to evaluate your risk for sleep apnea, which commonly occurs together with snoring, and also look in your mouth and nose to see if there are particular problems that may be causing snoring. Depending on this assessment, you may be referred to a sleep physician for investigation for sleep apnea with a sleep study, or if there a problems in the nose or throat you may be referred to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist for a more through examination. Click here for more information on snoring.

  • 6


    A/Prof Faruque Riffat

    Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon

    Snoring is a feature of airway obstruction. Basically it is a sound produced by vibrating tissue of the upper airway. This can be caused areas of fixed airway obstruction, for example, a deviated septum or large tonsils, or dynamic collapse of fat pads or weak muscles of the tongue and throat.

    Various treatment options are available both surgical and non-surgical.

    Your GP will carry out the initial assessment and based on that consider referral to an ENT surgeon for consideration of correction of areas of obstruction as well as to a sleep physician for sleep study assessment, and maybe CPAP therapy. Very often multidisciplinary approaches will be needed for optimal outcomes with ENT Surgeons and sleep physicians working together for you.

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices