Please verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Enter your email address

We have sent you a verification email. Please check your inbox and spam folder.

Unable to send verification, please refresh and try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What can i do if my child has insomnia

    He is 5 years old and consistently has trouble sleeping, when should I consider speaking to a health professional about this?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Nyema Hermiston

    Homeopath, Naturopath, Registered Nurse

    Nyema has been in ‘general practice’ treating adults and children for acute and chronic illnesses for over 20 years. She is Vice President of The … View Profile

    If you are unable to find a solution for your child's insomnia, seek professional help. Lack of sleep over time can affect a child's mood, learning ability, growth and immunity. It is important to find out the cause of the insomnia. Causes can vary widely; breathing problems, allergies, anxiety, magnesium deficiency, a combination of these, or other causes as well.
    Assessing the reason for the insomnia is important, so your son can receive targeted treatment. Tests may be needed. Sometimes, there is no obvious cause  for insomnia, but there may still be treatments available. Your son's symptoms, such as the time he falls asleep, wakes in the night, if he sleep walks, talks and so on, would need to be carefully looked at, for an individualised treatment to be given. 
    With the appropriate care, it should be possible to help your son sleep better.

  • Daniel Bonnar

    Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist

    If your child’s sleeplessness is a persistent issue for you and your family then it’s worthwhile seeking professional advice. As Nyema suggests above, insomnia in childhood can lead to problems such as poor school performance, low mood, and daytime sleepiness. Your first port of call should be your GP. They will be aware of your child’s medical history and may be able to help determine what factors are contributing to their sleep difficulty. Following that, the GP may choose to refer your child to a psychologist with experience in treating insomnia for further assessment and treatment planning.

    All the best and I hope your child is sleeping well soon. 

answer this question

You must be a Health Professional to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

You may also like these related questions

Empowering Australians to make better health choices