Verify your email address to receive email notifications.

Verification sent. Please check your inbox to verify your address.

Unable to send verification. Please try again later.

  • Q&A with Australian Health Practitioners

    What's the difference between a Psychologist and Clinical Psychologist

    Can someone please explain the difference?
  • Find a professional to answer your question

  • Dr Melissa Ree

    Clinical Psychologist, Psychologist





    Dr Melissa Ree is an Insomnia and Anxiety specialist. She has worked in both clinical and research roles at private psychiatric hospitals and Universities in ... View Profile


    A Psychologist has 4 years of University training (either a Bachelor of Science/Arts with Honours or a Bachelor of Psychology) plus two years supervised practice in the field.

    A Clinical Psychologist has at least 6 years of University training: As above plus a two year Masters degree in Clinical Psychology, or a three year Doctor of Psychology, or a 4 year combined masters/PhD. Clinical psychologist also have to complete 18months-2 years supervised practice after University. The post graduate training focuses on Clinical Psychology  (ie diagnosis and treatment).

    Hope this clarifies things for you. 

  • Advertisement
  • 1




    My research interests include immunology and the mechanisms of amyloid formation. The latter has implications for people who are dealing with Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease ... View Profile

    Adding a bit to what Dr Ree wrote:

    Both “psychologist” and “clinical psychologist” are legally-protected terms.

    That means that only people who have completed the training that Dr Ree has described are legally allowed to use those job labels.

  • David Joyce




    David is an experienced psychologist with a calm, confident, and professional manner. He has broad experience working with clients of all ages and is a ... View Profile

    And to add...Medicare rebates available under a Mental Health Care Plan (i.e. a GP referral) are higher for services delivered by a Clinical Psychologist than for a Psychologist.

    And Psycholgists may have five years of University training plus a sixth year of supervised practice.

You may also like these related questions

answer this question

You must be a Healthshare member to answer this question. Log in or Sign up .

Ask a health question
Community Contributor

Empowering Australians to make better health choices